St. Pauli sign Alex Meier on six-month deal
Sunday, 06. January 2019, 11:34 Uhr
FC St. Pauli have responded to the long-term loss of Henk Veerman to injury by signing a new striker in Alexander Meier. The 35-year-old front man has put pen to paper on a performance-related deal that will run until 30 June 2019.
"In Alex Meier we're delighted to have signed someone capable of filling the vacuum that has arisen due to the injury to Henk Veerman," said director of sport Uwe Stöver. "Alex meets the requirements we had set and as a former St. Pauli player it's great that he's returning to the Millerntor."
Head coach Markus Kauczinski also expressed his delight over the new recruit, who will train for the first time with the Boys in Brown when they reconvene on 6 January. "Just the fact that Alex was excited by the prospect of playing for St. Pauli again speaks for him. We're getting a forward with loads of experience. Alex embodies a type of striker we didn't have in the squad."
"I have fond memories of my first spell at St. Pauli," said the 35-year-old former leading Bundesliga and second division scorer. " I made my professional breakthrough here. I've followed the club since then and have seen a very positive development this season. I'm convinced we can continue on this positive path in the second half of the season. I want to help the club with this and that's why I was prepared to sign a performance-related deal."
Meier made 27 competitive performances (2 Bundesliga, 23 second division and 2 DFB Cup appearances) for the club between 2001 and 2003, scoring seven goals. The front man spent the majority of his career at Eintracht Frankfurt, for whom he found the net 137 times in 379 competitive appearance. He has been without a club since 1 July 2018.
Photo: Witters